Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sweet Potato Ice Cream


Instead of complaining about another Tucson summer, I've decided to be proactive. I'm going to make new flavors of ice cream to get me through these trying times. Let's be real - I'll probably still complain to you anytime it gets above 105, but - hey - at least you get an ice cream recipe every time I do. You can thank Jeni for inspiring me.

I just received Jeni's book in the mail from my Mom! I officially have a major girl crush on Jeni. Her book is delightful. If you don't believe me - the James Beard Award thought so, too. Here's the book description from amazon.com:

“Ice cream perfection in a word: Jeni’s.” –Washington Post
At last, addictive flavors, and a breakthrough method for making creamy, scoopable ice cream at home, from the proprietor of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, whose artisanal scooperies in Ohio are nationally acclaimed.
Now, with her debut cookbook, Jeni Britton Bauer is on a mission to help foodies create perfect ice creams, yogurts, and sorbets—ones that are every bit as perfect as hers—in their own kitchens. Frustrated by icy and crumbly homemade ice cream, Bauer invested in a $50 ice cream maker and proceeded to test and retest recipes until she devised a formula to make creamy, sturdy, lickable ice cream at home. Filled with irresistible color photographs, this delightful cookbook contains 100 of Jeni’s jaw-droppingly delicious signature recipes—from her Goat Cheese with Roasted Cherries to her Queen City Cayenne to her Bourbon with Toasted Buttered Pecans. Fans of easy-to-prepare desserts with star quality will scoop this book up.
How cool is that? 

Oh, it's cool, Jeni. So for my first post, I made Jeni's sweet potato ice cream and added some candied ginger pieces. Smooth, creamy, and rich with sweet potato and molasses, this ice cream is like having Thanksgiving for dessert! Enjoy.





Sweet Potato Ice Cream with Candied Ginger
adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

yields one generous quart

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled sweet potato (I used frozen, already cubed potatoes)
2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 cup diced candied ginger pieces

Directions:
Make sure the ice cream maker has been in the freezer overnight or for at least 10 hours.

In a medium saucepan, combine diced sweet potatoes and milk.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are soft and easily pierced by a knife, 8 to 10 minutes.

Fill a large bowl with ice water.  In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch.  In another large bowl, whisk the cream cheese, cinnamon, and salt.

Once potatoes are cooked, transfer to a food processor and puree.  If pieces still remain, return to pan and puree using an immersion blender.  Add heavy cream, sugars, corn syrup, and molasses to potato puree.  Place pan over medium-high heat and bring mixture to a rolling boil until the sugar dissolves, 4 minutes.

Remove from heat and gradually whisk into cream cheese mixture until smooth. Set the bowl in the ice water bath, and let stand, stirring occasionally, until cold, about 20 minutes.

Once ice cream base is chilled, pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  Sprinkle a layer of toasted marshmallows on the bottom of a plastic ice cream container.  Lightly spoon a layer of ice cream on top.  Continue to alternate layers of candied ginger pieces and ice cream until the container is full.  Sprinkle a few more marshmallows on top.  Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Meghan.... I think I'm in love with you. :)

    I LOVE SWEET POTATOES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh em gee!! You don't even know how excited I am to see this!! I have got to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIght!? I squee-ed when I saw this recipe! :)

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic!!! So amazing...the color of this ice cream is fantastic and I am sure those flavors marry together SO well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the coffee color is so enticing, isn't it? I'll be sad when it's all gone...

      Delete
  4. Dear Meghan-

    Please may I adopt you (as I've begged about 25 others bloggers this week. Hey, it was a good week for great recipes! :-P ) and get you to make this for me very very often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How unique! My mom loves sweet potato and she would definitely enjoy this. I need to get my ice cream maker out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I've never had sweet potato ice cream. This looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. definetly a must try, I've never had this ice cream before but it looks tempting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm.... Please include all ingredients on the ingredient list. The instructions include corn starch, corn syrup and toasted marshmallows. How much? None of these items are included in the ingredient list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, Sean. The toasted marshmallows are just a garnish if you want them :) Take care

      Delete
  9. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. Sweet Ice Cream Love

    ReplyDelete

  10. Taking notice of the violation of Punjab Private Educational Institutions (Promotion & Regulations) Amended Ordinance, the Punjab chief minister wanted a review of the situation and recommended more effective regulatory regime for private schools.

    multan board 5th class result
    5th class result 2018
    online result 8th class 2018

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. Salt lamp

    ReplyDelete

What's Hot This Week?